Meet Dr. Nathan Hesemann, MD
A dedicated ophthalmologist with a passion for comprehensive care and an emphasis on cataract surgery, Dr. Hesemann is active in research on the cutting edge of the industry. He has co-authored peer-reviewed literature with trusted colleagues, and his professional opinions have been published in various ophthalmology journals. He’s also a joint inventor of an ophthalmic device patented in the U.S.
Dr. Hesemann lives in Columbia with his wife and three daughters. When he’s not caring for his patients’ eyes or continuing his research, he enjoys spending time outdoors, cheering on the University of Missouri basketball team, and working on his family farm.
Education & Experience
Dr. Hesemann attended the University of Missouri School of Medicine, then finished his ophthalmology residency before entering private practice in St. Louis. After several years, he returned to Central Missouri in 2015, where he was named the Chief of Eye Services at the Harry S. Truman Memorial Veteran’s Hospital in Columbia — a position he still holds today. He joined our team at Missouri Eye Consultants in 2016 and has provided exceptional care since.
Awards & Associations
- Chief of Eye Services — Harry S. Truman Memorial Veteran’s Hospital, 2015-Present
- Medical Provider of the Year — Harry S. Truman Memorial Veteran’s Hospital, 2017
- Directors Special Contribution Award — Harry S. Truman Memorial Veteran’s Hospital, 2017
- Excellence in Patient Experience, Most Innovative Patient Experience — 2018
- Published — Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Published — Translational Vision Science and Technology
- Published — Missouri Medicine
- Member — American Academy of Ophthalmology
Come See Nathan Hesemann, MD
at a Missouri Eye Consultants Location Near You!
Previously Named Columbia Eye Consultants
Hours of Operation
- 7:45 AM – 5:00 PM Monday:
- 7:45 AM – 5:00 PM Tuesday:
- 7:45 AM – 5:00 PM Wednesday:
- 7:45 AM – 5:00 PM Thursday:
- 7:45AM – 4:00PM Friday:
- Saturday/Sunday: Closed
“I was greeted with a warm welcome. The staff was friendly and efficient. My doctor was personable and made sure all of my concerns were addressed. When I needed my glasses adjusted, the technician was knowledgeable and professional.
A great experience overall.”
“My daughter and I went to get our yearly exams. The amazing optician up front asked if we were getting glasses and suggested we look at frames before in case we had our eyes dilated (we did), the techs were all friendly, helpful and efficient. The Doc himself was awesome and did a great job fine-tuning my prescription. Thanks! Can’t recommend these guys enough!”
” Always professional and helpful.”
“All the personal there are very friendly and more than willing to take good care of you.”